Wednesday, December 3, 2014

POEM COMPARISON ESSAY

     Opposites are easy. Night and day. Black and white. Positive vibes and negative vibes. Everything is Going to be Alright by Derek Morgan and Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein. A poem full of encouraging thoughts and a poem that leaves you feeling quite sad. 
     Everything is Going to be Alright automatically makes you feel happy just by the title alone. Which is the perfect title for this poem simply because it says everything he talks about in one sentence. Where the Sidewalk Ends is a very popular poem. I even have the book. I got it in 3rd grade as a gift from my teacher because she knew how much I loved literature. I can honestly say this poem never appealed to me. The mood of the poem was just confusing and sad. Especially as an eight year old. 
     I mean I could be totally wrong about Where the Sidewalk Ends but the first thing that comes to my mind is death. That's not very fun. That's why I like Everything is Going to be Alright. It makes a person feel encouraged especially if you already have a hard time finding that motivation you need simply to get through the day. Maybe for some people death is comforting. Mainly it can be depressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment