Tuesday, January 20, 2015

ALL THAT DAVID COPPERFIELD KIND OF CRAP

Comparing David Copperfield and Pip... Well tbh I saw no difference. They were both young men who had awful upbringings. They had to raise themselves, teach themselves, but I noticed they both didn't know how to. They were influenced by people around them which in turn caused them to think they needed to act a certain way that they didn't truly believe in. They believed escaping their reality was their way out. But they really just needed to face their reality. So when Salinger says Holden didn't want to talk like Copperfield, I took it as a "you don't need to know my past to know my present". He was stronger than those boys who couldn't escape their past and move on. Holden talked about his present situation and how he was trying to face that. He didn't want the pity that would come with being an orphan with dead parents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment